Mathieu Arnold wrote on 2018/04/03 17:34:
On Tue, Apr 03, 2018 at 05:07:22AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
On Tue, Apr 03, 2018 at 01:59:50PM +0200, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
On Mon, Apr 02, 2018 at 10:14:06PM +0200, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
UPDATING entry says it should be upgraded automatically but it was not.

"People using Poudriere 3.2+ and binary packages do not have to do
anything."

Mmmmm, well, this sentence is partly right, and partly wrong.

If you install a PHP app, say wordpress, you do not have anything to do
because pkg will install the new pecl package and remove the old ones.

On the other hand, if you install php/pear/pecl ports manually, you do
have to rename them.

I will update the UPDATING entry.

How would someone performing only binary package updates know to look at
ports/UPDATING, and how would that be done?  Such an installation may
well not have /usr/ports at all.

I assumed pkg updating worked without a /usr/ports, seems I was wrong.

This is one thing I post about in the past. pkg updating is not working if you do not have /usr/ports synchronised by svn update / portsnap or some home grown system.

We are using one simple cronjob to fetch /usr/ports/UPDATING on all our machines because they are binary packages only. I think this should be included in "pkg updating" function (fetch UPDATING from configured repository)

Miroslav Lachman