On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 14:36:05 -0400 "Joseph Ward" <jbwli...@hilltopgroup.com>
said

Hi all,

I'm attempting to make my first port which is attempting to literally
unpack a tgz into the correct location.  I'm wanting a port, as I want
this to be versioned and upgradable on all my systems via pkg (as well
as to handle dependencies, etc).

I'm attempting to use make makeplist to create the initial pkg-plist as
there are a lot of files present, and I'm getting the following error:

# make makeplist
===>  License BSD4CLAUSE accepted by the user
===>   nebula-db-0.1 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found
===> Fetching all distfiles required by nebula-db-0.1 for building
===>  Extracting for nebula-db-0.1
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for nebula-db-0.1.tar.gz.
===>  Patching for nebula-db-0.1
===>  Configuring for nebula-db-0.1
===>  Staging for nebula-db-0.1
===>   Generating temporary packing list
make[1]: cannot open Makefile.

make[1]: stopped in
/usr/local/poudriere/ports/nebula/misc/nebula-db/work/nebula-db-0.1
*** Error code 2

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/local/poudriere/ports/nebula/misc/nebula-db

I get this when I do "make stage" as well.

Greetings Joseph,
I'm not sure if I follow you exactly. But if I understand you correctly;
you're looking to create a pkg-plist file via make makeplist, and your
port doesn't actually build anything (contains installation files?).
You need a minimum of
Makefile
distindo
pkg-descr
in your port directory.
for a minimum Makefile for what I understand your port to do. The
following should work:
# $FreeBSD$

PORTNAME=
PORTVERSION=
CATEGORIES=
MASTER_SITES=

MAINTAINER=
COMMENT=

LICENSE=
LICENSE_FILE=   (if necessary)

USES=           tar:txz
NO_BUILD=       yes

.include <bsd.port.mk>

note the key here is NO_BUILD
you mention your distfile uses tar(1) and xz(1). The above example
assumes the extension name is .txz ; adjust as needed. You will
(of couse) need to fill all the empty fields as needed, as well as
add || subtract them, as needed.

Hope this helps.

--Chris