1) Got the version wrong.  I'm on 10.4.

2) Forgot a subject.  Whoops.

3) Forgot to cc maintainer.  Doh!

-Dan

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018, Dan Mahoney (Gushi) wrote:

Hey all,

Funny question. I'm on FreeBSD 11.4, and would like to use the latest version of NTP, which is in pkg.

The version in pkg doesn't have a startup script, which I'm not sure is supposed to be the case. I know for things like BIND (when it was both in base and in ports) you could override the binary in /etc/rc.conf.

However, the version of /etc/rc.d/ntpd in BASE doesn't seem to have the ability to override the binary in rc.conf:

name="ntpd"
rcvar="ntpd_enable"
command="/usr/sbin/${name}"
pidfile="/var/run/${name}.pid"
extra_commands="fetch"
fetch_cmd="ntpd_fetch_leapfile"
start_precmd="ntpd_precmd"

What's weirder, is even if I manually modify the /etc/rc.d/ntpd file to point at /usr/local/sbin (which I should never have to do), the version in /usr/sbin gets started.

root@vortex2:/etc/rc.d # service ntpd start
Starting ntpd.
root@vortex2:/etc/rc.d # ps auxwww|grep ntpd
root 36362 38.3 0.2 26192 18132 - Ss 12:17AM 0:04.73 /usr/sbin/ntpd -c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -f /var/db/ntpd.drift
root     36364   0.0  0.0 18844  2328  1  R+   12:17AM    0:00.00 grep ntpd
root@vortex2:/etc/rc.d # grep command ntpd
command="/usr/local/sbin/${name}"
[...]

So, asking as a port maintainer, a few questions:

0) Why the heck is it doing this even when I override the path?

1) How can we encourage base to allow override of command_name?

2) Is this a brokenness in the port that it doesn't ship with a startup file?

3) Not strictly related, but what's the proper case for pathing since things like "ntpq", the base path would naturally be found in any standard $PATH. Some ports used to have an overwrite_base option, but this also feels wrong as it breaks freebsd-update in various ways. I.e. should the port print a message stating that you should chmod 000 the original binaries? Should the ports versions be named something different? Should the port just warn you that you need to call these things by absolute path, always?

-Dan

--

"No mowore webooting!!!"

-Paul, 10-16-99, 10 PM