On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 at 19:35, tech-lists <tech-li...@zyxst.net> wrote:

> On 12/09/2018 13:33, Robert Huff wrote:
> > How many ports_require_  python 3?
> > How many ports_require_  python 2?
>
> yeah, I'd like to know too. I mean, I've never installed python as like
> requiring it to program - it's installed as a dependency of other stuff
> I want to actually run. And I thought python2 and 3 are actually
> different languages rather than simply versions. Might be wrong though.
>
> tjhanks,
>
> --
> J.

They are kind of both, which is both a blessing and a curse. With a
bit of care you can write code that's legal in both, and even if you
don't, the automatic 2to3 converter is often good enough.  Thus, many
packages support being configured for either version from the same
source, which is why it's kind of a compile-time decision. The fun
part is the combination of 2-only holdouts and new 3-only code, which
is why it's easy to end up with both installed. At least there's a
definite sunset for 2, so it will _eventually_ work itself out.

--
Daniel Nebdal