I can confirm it is a folder perm issue as well. I have to fix perms myself or
I will get that error as well

    On Monday, September 17, 2018, 5:20:35 PM CDT, Tobias Kortkamp
<to...@freebsd.org> wrote:

 On Tue, Sep 18, 2018, at 00:03, Ultima wrote:
> Hello FreeBSD porters,
>
> Keep running into an issue where poudriere will return "make: don't know
> how to make check-sanity. Stop" when modifying a Makefile. This is very
> troublesome when attempting to test patches. Does anyone have an idea why
> this would occur?

Check permissions on the Makefile and all port files.  The
PORTBUILD_USER (probably 'nobody') as set in poudriere.conf needs
to be able to read them.