Am 19.09.18 um 14:25 schrieb Kurt Jaeger:
> Hi!
>
>> Why is Ada only available on i386/amd64?
>
> Because nobody provided fixes for the build on other platforms up to now.

And given that the only use of Ada in FreeBSD ports seems to be synth,
it seems a lot easier to implement the synth functionality in some more
portable (or at least readily available) language.

There is nothing in Ada, that makes it specifically suitable for synth.
The synth code consists mostly of string processing and program invocations.
It uses Ada exception handling, but I did not spot anything that could not
easily be implemented in any other language.

In fact, due to the many invocations of external binaries, porting of
synth to a shell seems sensible. I do not consider the time-outs on all
the build phases a strict requirement, but even those could be implemented
with shell mechanisms,

The setup of the clean environment for the package builds is easy to extract
and I have considered adding that feature to portmaster, to support building
of ports that currently fail if a previous version is installed (generally
caused by include paths that prefer installed headers over those in the
sources of the new version).

Regards, STefan