Hello.

Am I the only poudriere user that notices very long build times on an amd64
machine in i386 jails? This does not happen always, but frequently enough to be
a nuisance.

More precisely, building some packages in an i386 jail takes ages compared to
the same packages built in an amd64 jail. Moreover, sometimes building a
package in an i386 jail with all options on takes a reasonable time while
building the same package in the same jail but with all options off takes ages
although the amount of work (compilation, testing...) to do is the same or even
less than in the first case; and I experienced it with ccache installed and by
doing the two builds in the written order.

I am trying to find a good example of port to offer for testing. At the moment
the best example I can offer is security/libgcrypt (options off): I had to
build it as a dependency for a testport yesterday, but after 6 hours of build I
had to turn off the machine and gave up. But as I do not know well this port, I
do not know if this time should be expected.
My machine is amd64, 3.6 Gb of RAM, dual core: not very powerful, I know, but I
do not think this is enough to explain very large differences in build times in
the contexts I described.

Any idea what is going on and what could I do to speed up things?

Thanks.
Lorenzo Salvadore.