On 2019-03-26 16:29, bob prohaska wrote:

On 2019-03-26 03:14, bob prohaska wrote:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 10:23:26PM +0100, Bradley T. Hughes wrote:
[snip]

Looks like you need to upgrade www/libnghttp2 as well. :)

Thanks for reading, I'd be pleased to try any experiments suggested.

In general, www/node requires that all dependencies are up-to-date. The
port doesn't explicitly list minimum versions of its dependencies, but I
am beginning to think that it should (this is not the first time I have
seen this kind of problem).

Is there a test, a make target perhaps, that will help? I probably should
have recognized nghttp2 as a name implying a dependency, but didn't.

Yes, there is ports infrastructure that allows me to put the minimum required versions in the port. If you don't have a dependency installed, ports will install it for you. If you have the dependency, but it's too old, ports will tell you. :)

Good luck, let me know if you still have problems after making sure
everything is up-to-date. :)

I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible to reconcile dependencies
among ports that require mismatched versions of supporting programs
and libraries. At the very least it would seem to require an automatic,
consistent naming scheme to avoid conflicts and breakage. At small
scale it seems feasible, but the ports tree is no longer small.

As I mentioned above, there is some infrastructure in ports to do this. In some cases, there may be multiple versions of a port (think lang/python2 vs. lang/python3 or www/node vs. www/node{6,8,10}) which allow users and other ports to choose between. And as you mention, we do adhere to naming and versioning conventions (specifically, semver) to reduce conflicts and breakage. Despite the occasional breakage here and there, I think it works pretty well, even with the size of the ports tree. :)

Thanks for reading, and your help!

And thanks for the report! I will take a look at fixing all the www/node* ports to specify minimum required versions for all dependencies a little later this evening :)

--
Bradley T. Hughes
bhug...@freebsd.org