On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 10:52 AM Kevin Oberman <rkober...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Today I tried updating llvm80 to the newest version, 8.0.1, using pkg. I
> discovered that the package for llvm80 is built using the deprecated and
> soon to expire sambe47. Last week, in preparation for the expiry , I
> updated to samba48 and I assumed that any ports that were being packaged
> for "latest" would also be built with the default versions of dependencies.
> SAMBA_DEFAULT was changed to samba48 back on June 8, so why are "LATEST"
> packages still being built with samba47?

Thanks to David's nudge I just learned something new about pkg upgrade. If
there are any installed ports, whether built from source or installed from
packages, that are missing dependencies, pkg will try to install them for
any package upgrade even if the package being upgraded has no dependency on
that port. Perhaps the --force option would have bypassed this. The man
page is not clear.

In any case, that was the problem and re-installing the two packages that
the use of "portmaster -o" missed when updating samba47 to samba48. I
probably did something wrong. I'm still confused, but things are now
working and everything seems clean.