On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 5:50 PM Martin Waschbüsch <mar...@waschbuesch.de> wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> > Am 11.08.2019 um 23:22 schrieb Adam Weinberger <ad...@adamw.org>:
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 1:05 PM Franco Fichtner <fra...@lastsummer.de>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Quarterly is essentially useless if the decision is to immediately axe a
> >> deprecated release. 3 months are nothing in production environments, if
> >> you get 3 months (1,5 months mean) at all and also all other updates and
> >> security relevant bug fixes in the same quarterly that you desperately
> >> need.
> >>
> >> Yeah, we know that won’t happen so please don’t suggest it.
> >>
> >> That deprecation policy is nice and well all by itself except when it
> >> wreaks havoc over the ports infrastructure like in the case of PHP version
> >> support where numerous ports are immediately unavailable and incompatible
> >> with upgrades.
> >>
> >> Furthermore, the argument that it is more more work to maintain an
> >> abandoned version is silly because it’s more work to delete a port that to
> >> just keep it in the tree for a while longer.
> >
> > That last part isn't correct. The work of deleting the ports is
> > largely automated and simple, and it will always happen eventually.
> > The work involved is in supporting unsupported versions. Our php team
> > is spread very thin, and they simply cannot support php versions
> > outside of upstream development. There are no resources to backport
> > fixes that may or may not be designed to work with older versions
>
> I do not understand this. At all.
> And I sort of hope I misunderstood you, because it sounds like you think a
> maintainer is or may be regarded as someone who can be expected to provide
> product support of some kind?
> I find that notion worrying to say the least.

If you believe that handling updates, analyzing submitted and upstream
patches and development, and answering a bevy of questions for every
major update is effortless, then you drastically underestimate the
amount of work that goes into the ports tree.

Like I said in the part of my reply that you deleted, I'm open to
considering another model that permits and limits ports of stale
language versions.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger