> Unequally, actually. portmaster still has some developers putting in
> the hard work to keep it running. portupgrade hasn't had much focused
> development in many years and should probably be removed from the
> tree. There are some problems with building on a live system that
> portmaster can't ever truly alleviate, but it certainly works (when
> used by people experienced in handling fallout). portupgrade is just a
> system-mangling disaster waiting to happen.

> Adam Weinberger

I suppose what you say about portmaster applies equally to portupgrade? (from
my previous post)

I am strongly advised to heed your advice on portupgrade.

It seemed to work fairly well, once upon a time, but even then it was necessary
to run "pkgdb -F".

I looked in the FreeBSD Handbook online, found poudriere.

I even ran "make all-depends-list | more" from my FreeBSD installation, found
surprisingly few dependencies, wish there were a good way to configure options
without dialog4ports.

Still, dialog4ports was an improvement over the old dialog, which always messed
my screen when I kept a log file.

Speaking of system-mangling disaster, NetBSD pkgsrc with pkg_rolling-replace
can do that, I am typing this on such a system.

from Jan Beich:

> DragonFly has lang/gcc9-aux since
> https://github.com/DragonFlyBSD/DeltaPorts/commit/bb774aced6d7
> Synth is still used to build binary packages on DragonFly e.g.,
> https://sting.dragonflybsd.org/dports/logs/lang___gcc9-aux.log

I looked on gitweb.dragonflybsd.org, found gcc9-aux, but no gcc7-aux or
gcc8-aux, and no gccn-aux on dragonlace.net where n > 6.

DragonFly uses git for src and dports trees, in contrast to FreeBSD which uses
svn, and NetBSD and OpenBSD which use cvs.

Possibly I could try to create my own gcc(7 or 8)-aux on FreeBSD or NetBSD, or
cross-compile for Linux.  I would follow instructions on software.gnu.org or
gcc.gnu.org .

Tom