> [ I found this in my outgoing folder; ahem. ]

> On Tue, 31 Dec 2019, Mark Linimon wrote:
> > As of the following commit, lang/gcc6 is no longer supported:
>
> >   https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/Mk/bsd.gcc.mk?revision=521584

> GCC 6 hasn't been supported upstream for over a year (end of life)
> and is not covered by Mk/bsd.gcc.mk (aka USE_GCC) any longer. The
> port is still in our tree for the time being, though I marked it for
> expiration end of February - which gives an extra day this year. ;-)

> > I would like to, if possible, eliminate gcc6, as it merely adds
> > build time on the package builders.

> Is this a concern for all architectures, or mostly non-x86?  We
> can always restrict ONLY_FOR_ARCHS further for such ports if those
> focusing on those architectures are in favor.

> [ Editorial note: In the meantime I made such a change for lang/gcc48. ]

> > There is a variant of lang/gcc6 called lang/gcc6-aux, which is now only
> > required for the Ada-related ports, including ports-mgmt/synth.  fwiw,
> > that port is only available for aarch64/amd64/i386.
>
> > Is anyone willing to take on the work to upgrade our Ada support to
> > some later compiler, so that we can delete lang/gcc6-aux as well?

> lang/gcc6-aux/files carries a lot of patches (2500+ lines) that I
> don't believe should be FreeBSD-local, but upstreamable/upstreamed.

> Also there are some small local patches, some backports, in lang/gcc7
> and later especially, that really matter.  Any FreeBSD port around GCC
> probably would want to use those - which is not the case right now.

> Gerald

The following is a message I posted last September 10 to freebsd-ports:

Subject: gcc(6)-aux falling behind?

I notice gcc advancing to 7.4, 8.3 and 9.2 while gcc-aux has not gone above v6.

I believe this is the only Ada compiler for FreeBSD and NetBSD.

Would it be possible to build a gcc that includes Ada using gcc6-aux on the
source code for gcc 7.4 or 8.3?

Fact that it hasn't been done suggests there might be a reason why.

I had even thought about the possibility of using gcc6-aux or gcc5-aux to
cross-compile a gcc for Linux.

(end of message from last September 10)

Even if ports-mgmt/synth becomes deprecated, I believe Ada support ought to be
retained in ports/lang.

I hope gcc6-aux will not be allowed to expire until something is in place to
succeed it.

One problem porting Ada compiler to other architectures is the need for
bootstrap which must be in Ada (catch-22).

I notice synth has not been updated in some time.

I want to use or try synth on this computer if I continue with FreeBSD and
ports just to see if it will build and work.

On FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE, synth built but didn't work well, building only a small
minority of ports it was tried on.

On FreeBSD-current (then releng 12), trying to build synth led to system crash
and reboot (unclean, I had to run fsck_ffs from NetBSD).

Synth did better on the other computer, suggesting FreeBSD may be allergic to
the MSI MPOWER motherboard, or not fully compatible.

Tom