On 27-2-2020 21:53, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 12:45:51PM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
On Thu, Feb 27, 2020, 12:37 PM Willem Jan Withagen, <w...@digiware.nl> wrote:

Interesting, but not quite what I want....
It is not for personal usage, but for ports that I have commited to the
ports collection, and want to upgrade.
And yes, fixing openssl works for this problem, but it is not only my
problem.

I maintain these Ceph ports, and now upstream uses a python module that
expects SSlv3 to be available in the openssl that encounters on the system.
And the question is how to accommodate that?
Short of embedding my own openssl libs with the ceph-libs, thus creating
a huge maintenance problem.

I could also argue that switching of SSLv3 in a generic library is sort
of impractical, even if it is a protocol that we want to erradicate.
But I guess that the maintainers of openssl have decided that this is
the smart thing to do.
And I'm in peace with that, but now require an escape from this catch-22.

--WjW

There's no mechanism in the ports tree framework for port X to depend on
feature Y being enabled in port Z.

All you can do is add a pkg-message alert to your ceph port saying the use
needs to compile the openssl port with SSLv3 enabled.

You could create a slave port for openssl that has that option enabled,
then depend on that slave port. But that might create dependency issues
elsewhere.
You can do it, but nobody will commit that kind of change.  The choice
of which OpenSSL version to use is a user facing change, and it is done
globally.

As a side note, SSLv3 is going away, anything done right now that needs
it is doomed.
I wholehartedly agree, SSLv3 is a pain that should go. I've excluded it on webservers
already for ages. And TLS1 and TLS1.1 going down the same path.

But none the less I run into this problem that a python module
does not want to load because the includes .so is looking for SSLv3 stuff during.

Adding a openssl port with SSLv3 enabled would be an option, and as long a it
builds on the regular openssl port it would be a compatible library.
I only fear for the tantrum that `pkg install` is going to throw, when install
openssl-sslv3 is going to override openssl. Nothing but matching paths.
Doubt if that is going to be workable?

--WjW