On 18/04/2020 11:57, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
> I tried building lilypond with python2.7 removed from USES but its
> configure script failed due to Python < 3.0.  I couldn't find any
> discussion about upgrading the version of Python but WikipediA says that
> it has 120,000 lines Python code.  As far as I can tell there is nothing
> as good as Lilypond for engraving music.  It would be quite a blow to
> musicians if that was removed.
I think I can reassure you that lilypond isn't going away (at least not
because of the Python 2 vs. 3 issue.) Currently I'm maintaining
lilypond-devel and have already created a patch updating to 2.21.0 not
depending on Python 2 any more. I've already planned to take care of
updating lilypond to 2.20.0 as soon as I'll be able to. Maybe that would
mean backporting the upstream changeset switching to Python 3. (The
change was done well before the 2.20.0 release, but it seems to only be
present in the 2.21 branch. Luckily the changes are fairly trivial, but
because so many files are touched still would mean quite some legwork.)

Regards,
Martin

--
X is a large contribution.