On 25/08/2020 11:49 am, figosdev via freebsd-ports wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to FreeBSD-- I installed it for the first time this week.
> Honestly, so far it has exceeded expectations.
>
> I installed X11, but the first thing I installed was PyPy2.
>
> Unlike CPython2, which is EOL'd, PyPy2 does not to the best of my knowledge
> depend on CPython. When I installed it with pkg, it said the port was
> deprecated and will be removed from ports soon-- but it also said it was
> based on Python 2.7 (which is EOLd).
>
> I think there is a misunderstanding there. PyPy states the intention to
> continue to maintain that version.
>
> Removing this port is unnecessary. Aware of the politics around this (which
> go way over FreeBSD anyway) I doubt I will convince someone to save this
> port, sadly.
>
> I've used both Python 2.x and 3.x for years now. If this problem can't be
> fixed, can I at least be put in touch with the current port maintainer so
> that I can learn how to maintain this as a 3rd party package for my own use?
>
> I'm certain I'm not up to becoming an official port maintainer at this stage,
> but I'd like to be able to at least compile and run PyPy2 on freebsd without
> redoing the ports work that was already done on this.

Hi figodev, I've had a similar experience.  Though in my case
security/w3af was removed, per

/usr/ports/MOVED:security/w3af||2020-03-31|Has expired: Uses deprecated
version of Python

So in my case the easiest way, if you build your own ports, is to

svnlite update -r '{2020-03-29}' /usr/ports/security/w3af
Note the date before removal from the ports tree.

You might consider the same action.  Though over time you will need to
self-maintain...