On 2021-04-28 11:25, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 2:15 AM Kurt Jaeger <p...@freebsd.org> wrote:

Hi!

> Maintainer for some ~160 ports, and attempting to fix some
> bugs. But as I understand it 'git' is supposed to be the new
> source of truth. While I know svn by heart. I have near zero
> understanding of git, or for that matter, why anyone would
> rather use it.

The 'why' was explained here:

https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/

But, unfortunatly, that text moved somewhere. It's a good
first test to find out how to recover that text from the git repo 8}
Any hints ?

That was a draft repository used before the document migrated to use AsciiDoc.

In the README of that repository:

"""
These changes have been pushed into the FreeBSD tree. See the committer’s guide.
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/articles/committers-guide/#git-primer
"""

> That said; as I try to discover the new
> procedures for maintaining ports under git. I see there isn't
> anything in the porters-handbook regarding the acquisition
> of the ports tree in order to get started.

I guess that was because the porter's handbook was mainly about
porting, like writing the Makefile and pkg-plist. The VCS thing was
mainly in the committer's guide. But it's nice to mention some simple
git usages which will help people submit patches. After all that's one
of the reasons and possible benefit to use git.
A HUGE thank you for your reply. I know this probably seems simplistic.
But in order to get involved with ports, you're going to need a ports
tree. Not everyone who starts using FreeBSD will have a source tree, or
even build from source. So getting the ports tree as a necessary first
step IMHO should be noted. As everyone seems to be telling everyone the
proper git workflow, and they all vary. Maybe FreeBSD might show a 'ports
git workflow'. Much the same as the build/install world/kernel workflow in
/src/UPDATING at the top of the porters-handbook?
It's not that I don't know how to 'git clone'. It's that there's a
preferred procedure/protocol to becoming/being a FreeBSD ports
Maintainer, and I simply want to get it right the first time. Thereby
saving committers a good deal of time and effort. ;-)

Thanks again! :-)

--Chris

> Shouldn't this be at the very beginning of the ports doc?

This below should work, and I agree with you: It was hard to find out.

mkdir -p somedir/ports
cd somedir
git clone -o freebsd \
        --config remote.freebsd.fetch='+refs/notes/*:refs/notes/*' \
        https://git.freebsd.org/ports.git ports

I'm also trying to learn more git to be able to work on the
ports tree, but my time is limited and somehow, I still do
not see the forest for the trees 8-(