Synopsis:
FreeBSD interactive install tool unable
to repartition a slice with a non-FreeBSD file system
and system id.

I've just installed FreeBSD (4.6-RELEASE) on a Linux machine
for the first time on that particular machine.

My plan was to use a redundant primary partition on the
first IDE harddisk for a test installation. The partition
in question contained a fully functioning ext2fs file system.

Using the interactive FDISK partition editor I changed the
filesystem id from Linux (0x83) to FreeBSD (0xA5)
and proceeded to the disklabel editor, where I attempted
to create partitions in the rededicated slice.

However any attempt was answered with the the message
"Unable to create the partition. Too big?" even using the
"Auto defaults" option.

After trying various things (random panic option tweaking,
expletive cursing etc.) I booted into Linux and used
the Linux fdisk to set the partition / slice type to FreeBSD.
(I left the filesystem as it was).

On restarting the FreeBSD installation process, I was able
to create partitions as expected and the slice was
formatted correctly.

Is this a bug or have I missed something?

Yours

S.Mazerski