On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
[snip]
> PL> yp.conf in /compat/linux/etc.
> PL> Broken pipe
> PL> 6. Uhm, wha-?  I realize pkg_add will install dependencies but what is a yp.conf
>and doesn't it already know I changed "linux_enable" to YES and might pkg_add be
>fearing that I will now club it with a broken pipe?
>     Peter, I've never used pkg_add, nor have I ever let KDE touch my FreeBSD boxen,
>so I don't know what's wrong with that.

Do you mean you don't use KDE?

>     As for the yp.conf: it says: "When using NIS". Make that "If you use NIS", is
>that better? If you don't use it, odds are there's even no yp.conf in
>/compat/linux/etc/. and if there's one, it's completely benign: a config file that's
>not used can't do any harm.

I realize that - my post was more about the whole process and "tour" of
events, not just the ending.  The broken pipe part is distressing...

>     personally, I would just
>     % su -m

I am always logged in as root. :)

>     % cd /usr/ports && make update
>     % cd ./audio/agbrowser && make install clean

What does the "&&" do?  Is it similar to the usage of ";" but instead
issues the command after the "&&" at the result of the "cd?"  That is, does
the double ampersand cause your shell (which is..?) to not execute the make
command in the current working dir (cwd)?

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder