Hello all,

     Recent FreeBSD here.

     How  do I detect a bad sector on a disk. Are there any other utilities that
     can  be  used  to  detect  such error? I've used fsck before but I supposed
     unless  fsck comes up with a bunch or write/read errors, I can never know a
     disk  is good. Or when fsck does come with such messages, is the disk in an
     inconsistent state?

     The  reason  I  ask  this  is because recently after making world, all file
     operation (mv, cp etc.) from and to /home mounted at ad1s1e hung up and doing
     kill  -KILL would not cut it. I ran fsck a few times which required quite a
     number of reboots just to make sure all is right. The mount point now works
     as  usual but I still a few doubts on how, all of sudden, things went well.
     I  would  like  to  know  how  I  can  detect  bad blocks on my disk and to
     interpret fsck messages.

     Thanks in advance.

--
Thank you for your time,