Ron Andreasen said:
> Okay, first off here's the error:
>
> acd0:  read data overrun 34/0
> acd0:  MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout -resetting
> ata0:  resetting devices .. at0:  DMA limited to
> UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
>
> Does this mean the problem is with my hard drives and
> cd drives?  Here's how those are set up.  40 gig ibm
> hd master and HP CD-Writer slave on primary ide
> channel.  20 gig maxtor hd and Liteon CD-Rom on
> secondary channel.
>
> If this is the problem should I put the hard drives on
> the primary ide and the cd drives on the secondary?
> Or do I just need to change irq numbers and all that?
> Or is the problem with something else entirely?
> Thanks in advance for any help.

last I remember IDE spec automatically slows the bus to the
lowest common demoninator(same for SCSI, but SCSI devices
can take themselves off the chain when they are not in use).
so it's possible that your CD-writer is not DMA/66 so the
driver drops the bus to 33.

also possible that your cable isn't up to spec. is your cable
18" or less? and are you using a 80-wire/40-pin cable? Some
places offer 24" or even 32" IDE cables, which work on some
systems but I prefer to stick to 18" wherever possible since
that is the IDE spec(and I have had some problems with 24"
cables hooked to promise IDE controllers - got some CRC errors
on transfers, not fatal but I don't like seeing errors)

nate
(not a freebsd-head yet, but workin on it)