mingo lu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > i have two weird files under my home directory; one is
 > file named "-bash.gmon" and another one is "xy ds".
 > how could i remove them? rm just won't work ...

Filenames that start with a dash can be disarmend by
prepending the directory (just "./" if it's the current
working directory).  Spaces can be used by enclosing
the name in quotes.  Thus:

   rm ./-bash.gmon "xy ds"

Or use shell wildcards.  In this case use -i, so you don't
accidentally remove more files than you intended (unless
you're sure that no other files will match):

   rm -i ?bash.gmon xy?ds

If you use the zsh shell, it has the nice feature that it
expands expressions containing wildcards when you press
the TAB key, including proper quoting.  I have made a
habit of using that feature when appropriate, so I see
exactly which files will be affected before pressing the
ENTER key.  That has saved my day a few times.  ;-)

Regards
   Oliver