From: Fernando Gleiser [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 04 October 2002 21:46
To: greg
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Dummynet & ports

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, greg wrote:

> So if i did something like use wu-ftpd and use the "passive ports"
> directive in
> /etc/ftpaccess then i would be able to control the passive ports used
> and then pipe them with dummynet?

Yes. And no :). By doing that you can limit the bandwidth used by people
who access *your* ftp, but you can't control which ephemeral port will
bew chosen by a *remote* ftpd (ie, ftp.freebsd.org) because that is
daemon/OS dependant.

The best solution I've found is to install a dedicated proxy server for
FTP/HTTP and then limit the traffic for that proxy server. But you need
an extra machine for that.

                        Fer

> Does this sound right?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> greg

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.