On 08-Oct-2002 Jerry McAllister wrote:

>> > # mount /dev/fd0c /drives/fd
>> grep: /etc/vfstab: No such file or directory
>> grep: /etc/vfstab: No such file or directory
>> mount: /dev/fd0c: Device not configured
>>

>> *** mount: /dev/fd0c: Device not configured ***
>>

>> hi, if the order "mount" means that the device is not
>> configured,it has to be configured, isn't it?? so, how it has
>> to be done?
>
> Often the 'Device not configured' message appears to mean that
> you do not have a floppy disk in the drive (or a tape in a tape drive).
>
> It can also mean that you have to go in to the /dev
> directory and do a './MAKEDEV xxx'  for it where xxx is the device.
>
> Normally you would not actually do a mount for a floppy unless you
> have a disk that has a file system built on it.   A lot of times
> people just copy things directly to or from the device using 'dd' and
> in this case you don't actually do a mount.  But, if you write a floppy
> don't make a file system on the disk and mount it, things like grep
> and ls won't work on it.  There are no files for them to look at, just
> a glob of data.
>
> (Actually, I have been having trouble with many machines writing to
>  DAT tape drives (DDS-3 and DDS-4) using dd (or cp) when tar and dump
>  work just fine.  But, that is another story and I should post some
>  questions on that separately.)
>
> ////jerry
>

>> To Unsubscribe: send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

Hi, my problem is that I'm trying to install the floppy disk
but it seems it's not working, so I can't copy anything and do
anything with it. What I would like to sort out is how do I
install the flopy disk in the computer system. does anybody
know how to do it, having attention to the error it says? Thanx