> Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 23:22:19 +0300
> From: Petri Riihikallio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >Use vmstat -i to get a list of interrupt sources on your system and
> >use rndcontrol to add them to the entropy engine.
>
> This is very interesting. I have just guessed my entropy interrupts.
> Thanks for the tip!
>
> ># vmstat -i
> >interrupt                   total       rate
> >ata0 irq14                3240348         10
> >ata1 irq15                      4          0
> >mux irq11                 1342389          4
> >pcm0 irq10                   3401          0
> >fdc0 irq6                       2          0
> >atkbd0 irq1                 58469          0
> >psm0 irq12                 872780          2
> >sio0 irq4                  441098          1
> >clk irq0                 31225225         99
> >rtc irq8                 39970907        128
> >Total                    77154623        247
>
> ... but what does the 'mux' stand for? My laptop shows it, too. From
> the context I guess it is network activity, but there is no such
> device or kernel option. The NICs don't show up as themselves. man
> vmstat didn't tell.

"mux" is the device name given to all devices using the shared PCI
interrupt. On most laptops all PCMCIA cards as well as the PCMCIA
controller(s) and USB controllers use a single interrupt (unless this
is disabled by sysctl). So this device covers anything you plug into a
PCMCIA slot and anything in a mini-PCI slot on most laptops or the PCI
on most desktops. You can usually track down what uses it by scanning
the dmesg output.

On my Dell desktop I see the graphics card, the Ethernet, and one USB
all use IRQ 11 and are included in the mux device.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  Phone: +1 510 486-8634