> > > Hmm.  I thought of that, but realistically wouldn't you WANT your cdroms
> > > to be automount for just that reason - they're removable media, for
> > > pete's sake.  I'm coming from a Solaris background, where this is handled
> > > completely differently.
> > >
> > No,no. Automount makes no sense at all, it means you have to have a
> > CD in there, also what if you are using a CD without a filesystem on
> > it ? E.g. one you have dd'ed something to.
>
> Ok, then.  Thanks very much for the help, guys!

CDs aren't necessarily mounted to use.  Only if they have a file system
are they mounted.  Otherwise they are read directly in some fashion
(depending on what they are, data file, music, etc).   If you have auto
there, it means that it will try and mount a file system from that device
to whatever mount point you specify whenever a mount -a is done.   Since
there is often not a Cd with a file system on it in the drive you don't
want it to be auto.   You or your script or whatever you are using needs
to do the mount specifically when you know a Cd with file system is there.

It doesn't mean quite the same thing as autostart when you plug in a CD.

I seem to remember some sort of similar distinction made in Solaris too
though it has been quite a while and they like to have all these GUI
things in Solaris to prevent you from knowing what is going on so it
may not look like it any more.

////jerry