please keep the line length below 75 chars.

# [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2002-10-13 15:02:07 +0100:
> I've managed to completely screw up my ports collection

> So, what I would like to know is: can I get my system back to a state
> as if it had never had any ports installed on it at all, so I can then
> put a fresh copy of the ports tree on it and start over again?

    probably by:

    # rm -rf /usr/local/*
    # rm -rf /usr/X11R6/*
    # rm -rf /var/db/pkg/*

    just as you say below. but it's not necessary.

> I'm thinking the procedure may go something like
> - remove /usr/local

    if the stuff you have installed works (iow, the whole problem is
    that you can't install anything new), this is not needed

> - make installworld to replace anything in /usr/local that wasn't put
>   there by ports

    there's no such thing.

> - remove /usr/X11R6 (since X is part of the ports?)
> - remove the package database under /var/db
>
> Does this sound like it may work,

    seems so.

> or have I overlooked some glaringly obvious flaw in my plan?

    it's an overkill.

> It would be really good to find a solution other than a complete
> reinstall, as the base system (cvsup'd to 4.7 a couple of days ago) is
> working really well...

    # rm -r /usr/ports/*
    # cd /usr/src
    # make update

    (replace the last two lines with manual cvsup if you don't have
    it [cvsup] configured in /etc/make.conf)

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE