On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 04:46:33PM -0400, flash wrote:

> I am tracking stable, and I have two questions about upgrading via cvsup
> and the {build,install}{world,kernel} method.
>
>   1) How do I upgrade Xfree86 to 4.2.x?    My XFree is still 3.3.6.

The best method is to delete XFree86-3.3.6 and all the packages that
depend on it, then build and install XFree86-4.2.0 and then rebuild
and install all the dependent packages again.

First make good backups of /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11, just in case it
all goes horribly wrong and you need to revert your changes.

Next generate a list of all of the ports that depend on XFree86-3:

    pkg_info -R XFree86-\* > /tmp/x-packages
    vi /tmp/x-packages         [ delete any extraneous stuff and any
                                 mention of XFree86-3.3.6 specific
                                 packages]

Then to do the deletion. It's easy if you've got the portupgrade
package installed:

    pkg_deinstall -r XFree86-\*

Then you can change the /etc/make.conf setting to say you're now going
to use XFree86-4.2.x:

    XFREE86_VERSION=        4

Then re-install all the dependency packages:

    xargs portinstall -RrN < /tmp/x-packages

This will involve quite a lot of compilation, especially if you've got
much in the way of gnome or kde stuff installed.

Then you'll have to generate a new XF86Config file and redo things
like the xdm(1) setup and all the other bits of customization you
require.  Almost all of the X configuration files -- with the glaring
exception of /etc/X11/XF86Config -- have moved from /etc/X11 to
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11 in the latest versions.

>   2) How do I upgrade all the files in /stand. Only sysinstall gets
>      upgraded when I follow the handbook instructions.

All of the binary files in /stand are actually hard linked together.
So the new sysinstall binary you've generated can be linked to sh,
gzip, ppp and so forth:

    cd /stand
    for f in `file -- * | grep ELF | grep -v sysinstall | sed -e 's,:.*$,,'` ;
    do
        rm -- $f
        ln -- sysinstall $f
    done

(All of the -- stuff is because of the '-sh' program, which tends to
get confused with command options other wise.)  On my machine that
ends up with a link count of 32.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way