> Are there any limitations to this system?  How much does it usually cost an
> individual?

It is really free - except you have to buy your own computer.
You can buy distribution sets which is nice and convenient, especially
if you don't have a CD burner, but you don't have to.

For starters, go to the FreeBSD web page at:  HTTP://www.freebsd.org/

and click on the 'For Newbies' item in the menu on the left of the page.
It will point you to lots of useful/helpful information.

As for limitations, it still does not unbox our new machines and
install itself on them without my intervention.

The initial learning curve is rather steep if you do not have UNIX,
especially BSD system management experience.  But, that settles
down to SOP after a bit.

Have fun,

////jerry