Hi Chip,

Chip Wiegand wrote:
I just finished installing 4.7 and want to move /var to /usr/var and
symlink it, but there is an empty subdirectory called empty
(/var/empty). It is not going away when I try to delete the /var
directory after moving it to /usr/var. It has permissions like this: dr-xr-xr-x root wheel Seems like I had to do something about a sticky bit, but don't recall
and can't find anything in the list archives about this.
Can someone remind me? And this time I'll write it down in my notebook.

it is not about sticky bits. /var/empty is used since OpenSSH 3.4 to chroot the child process.

man sshd will tell you more.

So, stop sshd (all of them I think) and then it should work

Hope that helps

Marc