On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 02:18:21PM -0500, Robert Hall wrote:
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:18:21 -0500
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Robert Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Starting natd

Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 14:18:01 -0500
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Robert Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Starting natd

I'm setting up a FBSD 4.4 box as a gateway. I've got
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="ppp0"
in rc.config, but I can't get natd to run without entering
natd -interface ppp0
at the comand prompt. I assume this is a configuration problem, but I've been through the files several times and can't find an error. Can someone tell me how to get natd to run automatically?
If you use user ppp ( ppp(8) not pppd(8)) I suggest you to use build in nat
in rc.conf :
ppp_nat="YES"

But if you for some reasons want to use natd, then you must first start ppp
or pppd before starting natd. Note if you use ppp set interface to tun0 not
to ppp0.
I'm using kernel ppp (pppd). It is already set up and it runs. I have set up FreeBSD boxes before with this configuration, and natd started automatically and ran without any intervention on my part. For some reason, it doesn't do that this time, and I have to start it manually. I'm hoping someone can tell me why, so I can fix it.
Put in rc.conf:
natd_flags="-dynamic"

Bob Hall

Regards,