Steve Wingate wrote:
>> Is is better to run a 2nd drive on another IDE channel or on the
>> same bus? Eg. IDE channel 1 = ad0 (main OS), IDE channel 2 = ad1
>> (other data - maybe MySQL and websites?)
>>

> For performance reasons a seperate channel is better. If you're
> anal about cable neatness, air flow and all that weird stuff a
> single cable does have some benefit for some people. I prefer the
> two channel method whether it's two hard drives or a disk and
> cd-rom, since an IDE disk can only do one thing at a time.

I also try to follow the 1 controller - 1 device rule. The motherboards with onboard raid are even better. You can have 4 HDs on individual controllers. All of my systems have /, /usr/src, and /usr/obj on different HDs for performance.

The new round ATA-133 cables even get rid of the air flow problem.
They are typically 24 inches long instead of the 18 inches max on the
ribbon cable.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart