Performed a fresh upgrade (actually, wipe and install) from 4.5 to 4.7
release.  In X, any "event" (clicking, scrolling, etc.) causing static
lines that are very disconcerting and at times make it downright
unusable.  I've read the documentation for my video card's driver and
tried several options, all with no success.  The video card is a Diamond
Multimedia 3D 2000 which uses the S3 Virge chipset.  I'm using the
"s3virge" driver.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joel