>> (11.03.2002 @ 2352 PST): Peter Leftwich said, in 0.9K: <<
> # pwd
> /stuff/mutella
>
> (I had to manually download each of the following since the adding the .tar
> trick did not -- as usual -- work!)
>
> # ls -al
> total 12
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512 Nov  3 23:49 .
> drwxr-xr-x  34 root  wheel  2560 Nov  3 23:49 ..
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   650 Nov  3 23:48 Makefile
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    62 Nov  3 23:48 distinfo
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    31 Nov  3 23:48 pkg-comment
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   174 Nov  3 23:48 pkg-descr
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  3317 Nov  3 23:48 pkg-plist

Which tar trick are you referring to? Apparently you have chosen not to
download an entire ports tree, which is fine, but you could have just
done a "locate bsd.port.mk" on a machine that DOES have a ports tree.

> # make
> "/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk", line 4: Could not find /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
>
> What is bsd.port.mk, where can I get it or pkg_add it, then am I all set?

The files in /usr/ports/Mk are what makes the ports tree work. The
Makefile that you downloaded there is just a list of options that
bsd.port.mk uses to build the ports.

You need the bsd.*.mk framework to make your ports work. You can just
cvsup the ports-base collection. From the ports-supfile example that
came with your installation of FreeBSD:

# Be sure to ALWAYS cvsup the ports-base collection if you use any of the
# other individual collections below. ports-base is a mandatory collection
# for the ports collection, and your ports may not build correctly if it
# is not kept up to date.

If you have a ports-all supfile, you can issue the following:
cvsup /path/to/supfile -i ports/Mk
cvsup /path/to/supfile -i ports/net/mutella

If you can't/won't diagnose what's wrong when you try new things, it's best
not to invent tricks.

- -Adam

- --
Adam Weinberger