On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 14:11:10 +0200
Giorgos Keramidas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 2002-10-31 20:26, Chris Pressey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:32:40 +0200
> > Lefteris Tsintjelis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Compile with OPENSSH and use sshd_program="/usr/local/sbin/sshd" at
> > > ur rc.conf if you are trying to use the new sshd. U will also need
> > > to change the PATH so that /usr/local/..... comes first. Its not the
> > > proper way but still, its a workaround. :-)))
> >
> > Changing the PATH so that /usr/local/bin comes before /usr/bin
> > resulted in a couple of differences in attempting to build it that
> > seemed to go away once I dealt with /usr/local/bin/make and
> > /usr/local/bin/grep (they were the GNU versions.)  Does the PATH need
> > to be this way to buildworld, or just to run ssh?
>
> That's not a good idea.  To try building world+kernel with a PATH that
> is different from the one in /etc/login.conf:
>
> /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
> :/usr/X11R6/bin:~/bin

OK.  I changed my path to this, cvsup'ed this morning's sources,
chflags'ed and destroyed /usr/obj, did a 'make buildworld' and got the
same error as reported in my last post.

> On a sidenote, why is your GNU make installed as "make" and not
> "gmake"?  If you install GNU make as "gmake", and not "make" you won't
> have to worry about /usr/local/bin/make overriding /usr/bin/make.
> That's what the devel/gmake does already:
>
>       keramida@gray[14:06]/home/keramida$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/*make
>       -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  132860 Oct 30 02:10
>       /usr/local/bin/gmake keramida@gray[14:07]/home/keramida$ pkg_info
>       | grep gmake
>       gmake-3.80          GNU version of 'make' utility

It was probably left over from an early install of the GNU toolchain, from
before I was using the ports tree.  I do use gmake from ports these days.

This is certainly not a stock FreeBSD install - e.g. I'm running qmail -
but I can't ever recall making a change to the base system.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help,
-Chris