Hi.  I'm trying to get a verizon DSL service started on my FreeBSD box.
I don't have windows running at home, so I cannot run their install software.

The nice folks there, have been helpful enough to walk me through the install.
I'm happy they are taking a shot at it.

They have given me the install username and password, which will expire
in 24 hours.  If I can get the modem working in that time, then we can
proceed to registration and the rest.

The modem is a westell, and I have connected everything up (subquestion:
can PPPoE be run on the same NIC as my LAN?  Right now the other computer
is disconnected from the hub so it is just my gateway and the modem.).

I have used the example from the handbook:
    default:
      set log Phase tun command # you can add more detailed logging if you wish
      set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0

    name_of_service_provider:
      set device PPPoE:xl1 # replace xl1 with your ethernet device
      set authname YOURLOGINNAME
      set authkey YOURPASSWORD
      set dial
      set login
      add default HISADDR

with rc.conf
    ppp_enable="YES"
    ppp_mode="ddial"
    ppp_nat="YES"   # if you want to enable nat for your local network, otherwis
    ppp_profile="name_of_service_provider"

(and all the LAN related stuff in rc.conf commented out to prevent any possible
interferences, see subquestion).

I am getting

dial->carrier
Hangup!

in the ppp.log file (I won't be back home til this evening, if someone
wants more lines from the logfile).

Which seems bad.  I have tried manually started ppp and using the 'term'
option (I used to have very informative conversations with my phone-modem
this way), but the DSL modem doesn't say anything (no happy 'OK', but I
am not sure if it is supposed to).

Anyhow, does anyone out there have this setup?  Suggestions on changes to
my rc.conf or ppp.conf or anything?

-r