> Is there any way to say in the first line "send *.notice except where
> programname=ipmon to /var/log/messages"?
>
> I read through the syslog.conf man page, but there doesn't seem to be
> any way to do this.

Change the /var/log/messages line so it looks like this:

*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err;local0.none
/var/log/messages

(sorry for the line break added by my MUA).

Works for me.
--
Toomas Aas | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* If you don't leave me alone, i'll go and find someone else who will.