From: "W. D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to stop SPAMMER??!

>Hi Stephen,

>I hope you don't mind, I've CC'd the list as well:

>Guys: I locked myself out of my server using the "hosts.allow"
script
>below.  I couldn't get in with SSH, FTP, and *ALL* email was
blocked.
>I changed back to the old "hosts.allow" and I can get back
>in, but so are the slimy spammers.

>It seems that "hosts.allow" is very powerfull--perhaps the way to
>go.  However, I can't shut off FTP and email for all the other
users.
>Does anyone have "ready-to-go" hosts.allow file?

Well, now we see why the file comments suggest that wrapping
sshd is *not* such a good idea......

Get the IP block of the system(s) from which you are remotely
adminning the server into hosts.allow with something like this
at the top:

all:  192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 : allow

This is a sample netblock that makes sure hosts on my/the*
LAN have access to the machine....figure out the netblock
of your ISP at the home, office, or home office, and try,
try, again.....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.