E.S. wrote:
I figured out my make buildworld problem I mentioned earlier (I'd uncommented NO_OPENSSL=true in my make.conf - big mistake!), and now that world builds OK, I'm having kernel build problems.

I'm building 4.7-RELEASE (cvsup'ing to RELENG_4_7), and here's all the output for "make buildkernel KERNCONF=KERNELCONF4":

Kernel build for KERNELCONF4 started on Wed Nov 13 23:45:17 CST 2002

===> KERNELCONF4
mkdir -p /usr/obj/usr/src/sys
cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf; PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin config -d /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNELCONF4 KERNELCONF4
Don't forget to do a ``make depend''
Warning: device "atapicam" is unknown
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

I've applied the following of Thomas Cuivre's atapicam patches (from http://www.cuivre.fr.eu.org/~thomas/atapicam/):

atapicam-20021031.diff
atapicam-STABLE-config-20021031.diff

...to source I cvsup'd today (Nov. 13). But I've had this same make error for the last several days...

I have all the necessary devices and options in my KERNELCONF4 file that Cuivre notes on his atapicam page that we need, but the above is still my output.

I *can* comment out "device atapicam" in my config file -- and the kernel appears to build OK (I haven't tried building a full kernel without atapicam support, I've only tested to see if removing "device atapicam" from the config file makes a difference) if I do that, but I really don't want to lose ATAPI burning support using cdrecord, etc...

Anybody know what's going on here? Suggestions?

I would post my KERNELCONF4 file, but this list cuts off my messages when they're some 200KB+ in size (I know, for bandwidth and spam, etc.)...
I don't understand why you are doing part of this. The web page says the atapicam device has been in 4.7-stable source since 1-nov-2002. It sounds like you have basically applied the patch twice. All I did was add "device atapicam" after my atapicd like so

device atapicd # ATAPI CDROM drives
device atapicam
device atapifd # ATAPI floppy drives

and did a make buildkernel. The kernel built without any errors.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA