No it's not your kernel talking there it's the init script already, try putting the fstab file in:
${diskless_root}/conf/defaults/etc/
I have no fstab in ${diskless_root}/conf/base/etc
or in ${diskless_root}/conf/etc

Good luck

Rob
Joao Pedras wrote:

Greetings Rob,

here's my /etc/fstab. This initially resides in /conf before clone_root copies
it to /diskless_root/conf.

192.168.200.3:/usr /usr nfs ro 0 0
proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

I grep'ed all the files and checked the cpio's that clonet_root creates and
there is no reference of /dev/ad0s1a. I am assuming that it is the kernel that
tries to mount this by default.

In fact this message is spit out by the kernel.

Please cc: future replies to me as I am not subscribed to this list.

Thanks for you help.

Joao

Quoting User Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Looks to me your rc.diskless script is usig the fstab you created in making the root file system
look in man diskless for /conf/default/etc/fstab
I think you'll find what you need there.

Rob

Joao Pedras wrote:

Hello all!

Two small issues...

1) After sucessfully configuring a set of systems which come up

diskless (thank

you for the fine documentation), these still try to mount root from

/dev/ad0s1a:

.
.
Adjusted interface xl0
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
no such device 'ad'
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6
Mounting root from nfs:
NFS ROOT: 192.168.200.3:/diskless_root
NFS SWAP: 192.168.200.3:/diskless_swap
.
.

After this the system comes up fine.

The kernel is compiled without ata and friends. Should a kernel option

like

ROOTDEVNAME be used ?

I checked the 'loader' and 'pxeboot' documentation, the mailing lists

and it is

not obvious how to "fix" this.

2. do you see any inconvenient in totally removing all UFS options from

the

kernel ? These systems have no hard drives...

That's all for now. Thank you for time.

Joao