I upgraded from 4.4 and .xinitrc was "exec gnome-session" but great! reinstalling wrapper was the thing to do, now the startx runs . Many thanks!

Steve Wingate wrote:

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

hi,

I migrated recently to stable. Now trying to launch XFree with startx on

From what?

a non root account results in an error message recommending to

setuid

server root, but how? Is there another way of obtaining access (except
xdm) - Xwrapper-4 just bring me to the root X window (with the cross)?

Try removing/reinstalling wrapper, although if X starts at all that
probably isn't the issue. What's in ~/.xinitrc?