> Errrr..
> The only real benefits you get from a firewall are:
> 1) controlling which IP addresses can access a service
> 2) *maybe* bandwidth shaping. *maybe*.
> 3) packet re-writing.

That's all ?

I thought the firewall was THE thing to have when you have a server which is
running 24 jours a day, 365 days per year!

I'm considering myself as a newbie under FreeBSD for the moment so I may be
wrong about the next point but what you telling me is that I can restrict access
to certain services to certains IPs ?
So I would use the config file of each service to say this one can access, let's
samba .. this one cant (interfaces=... in smb.conf if I remember correctly).

They are Linux (ouch :D) distributions that are only firewall and don't run any
other services (like smoothwall if I'm right).
So a distribution like this one is superfluous for users like me ?

I own swissgeeks.com and need a little bit of security.
Got a lot of stuff running on this server and if I'm switching to FreeBSD I have
to be sure I won't get hacked, though it's always possible. Let's say I'd like
the same security as SME provides me for the moment.
As known, 1 year and a half and no problem!

This was the story :D

Cya