At 7:50 PM -0800 2002/11/20, David Schultz wrote:
Thus spake Chris Pepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
 To use ext2fs, you can either add
 >the option EXT2FS to your kernel config to compile it statically
 >into your kernel, or you can load the ext2fs module dynamically,
 >even into GENERIC.  To do the latter, the module must exist;
 >it will be created if you make the kernel with -DWANT_EXT2FS_MODULE.
 >It is also installed by sysinstall, IIRC.

 David,

	I know they're distinct, but it's silly for a discussion of
 Linux applications to ignore the possibility of those apps residing
 on a Linux filesystem. I couldn't find ext2fs documented anywhere,
 which is the first issue. The second is adding a link & comment to
 the LABI chapter.
Hmm...I think you're right.  I don't see any documentation for the
option.  I would just as soon hook the module up to the default
build like all the other modules, but maybe the license is an issue.
I think it's off by default for stability, but would like to submit a patch to the LABI Handbook chapter linking to a discussion of the FS module. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found a URL that describes it.

LINT says:
#
# Add support for the EXT2FS filesystem of Linux fame.  Be a bit
# careful with this - the ext2fs code has a tendency to lag behind
# changes and not be exercised very much, so mounting read/write could
# be dangerous (and even mounting read only could result in panics.)
#
options         EXT2FS

						Chris Pepper
--