> What purpose do they serve ?
> A System Manager can put the users in the appropriate groups
> for their work.
> I have never seen them used on any Unix system I have worked on,
> and I seem to recall from some ancient documentation that they
> are more trouble than they are worth.

(Please put blank lines between paragraphs or use bullets or
indentation or something.  This isn't a Poetry 101 forum.  Thanks.)

IRIX and Linux (and HP-UX?) had a "newgrp" command for changing your
current GID (eg, "gid" from "id -g").  I've forgotten, but I suppose
"newgrp" used the group passwords if they were defined.  Users could
change their GID to work in different projects.

I'm not sure why FreeBSD doesn't have the feature, but I suppose someone
thought that the SUIDDIR feature was sufficient.  But I don't know what
it would hurt to have the feature which needn't be used or could easily
be disabled.