I've tried installing gnome and windowmaker to test the sound.  Each
act the same as KDE.  Mplayer works with sound but nothing else.  I,
also, installed xmms and tested, no sound.  The sound graphics are
idle, seeming to indicate that the sound is not being generated in the
applications.  I, also, tried the command line app cdcontrol.

# cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 play 1

no sound.  Does mplayer use a kernel independent sound driver?