On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 10:55:04 -0400
Richard Morse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi!  I came in the morning and discovered that the file permissions on
>  every cgi I have on my webserver had been set to u-x,go+x.  This
>  seems
> to have changed at about 4:30a this morning.  I'm a bit worried by
> this, as I can't think of anything that would cause this, and there's
> nothing in any of the log files that would explain it.

4:30a sounds like a cronjob might have done this, but it does not ring a
bell

> Has anyone run into this before?  Can you direct me to a place I might
>  find more information on it?  A quick google search on "owner cannot
> exec" didn't turn up anything...

i suggest (since you're worried) you do some reading about security in
general for FreeBSD, e.g. starting here :

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/security.html

personally i would :

- take the machine down
- compare md5sums with a freshly installed machine
- do some more "forensic research" with things like sleuthkit
- for the future use a tripwire-style program like yafic (from ports)