Sergei Gnezdov wrote:
On 2005-04-07, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[ ... ]
How do I end up having stale ports?

As time marches on :-)

I am guessing, that port becomes stale after running cvsup.

When a new version of a port is committed, anyone running the older version has a stale version. Whether you run cvsup or not doesn't affect whether a new version is available, but you are a lot more likely to notice dependency issues after running cvsup.

So, what exactly are we supposed to accomplish in respect to stale
ports, when we run pkgdb -F (deinstall, some kind of fix, simple
ignore)?

pkgdb tries to update the dependencies when new versions of a port appear. Running pkgdb by itself is not especially useful, although you can check and rebuild updated ports by hand. Consider portupgrade instead....

--
-Chuck