Hi dear jerry
one question is what do u mean intel clone and second mine is a sempron 2200 on a msi board i just would liek if u can tell me if it is supported sinc eimn having trouble finding it and third i was wondering if u can tell me and i dont knwo much about the i386 stuff going on but i think im sure ad sempron 2200 will be using i386 please reply soon thank-you

From: "Jerold McAllister" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: zhane H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED],  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Hi please help
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:34:56 -0400

zhane H writes:

Hi dear staff at freebsd

NOTE: FreeBSD does not have a "staff". Everyone is a volunteer. But people understand what you mean by your greeting.

How may i check whether the hardware in my pc is supporte by freebsd
5.3

If you look on the FreeBSD web site at: http://www.freebsd.org/ you will see two releases listed over on the right hand side of the page. Under each there is a link called 'Hardware Notes' which will take you to a page that lists types of CPU. Click on one of those and you will get a list of hardware categories. Click on those to get specific lists of hardware devices. If you can find your hardware in those lists, you should have no problem. The difficult thing comes up when you have an item such as a sound card which uses the same chip as listed in one of the devices but it doesn't list your specific device model. Most of the time, it will also work, but no-one has tested it so they don't know for sure.

 and also i would liek to ask whcih one of freebsd do i install as i
dont understand if i ahve to do i386 or some other one im instaling it
on a msi board amd sempron 2200 with samsung cd-rw and a 10 gig
seagate hdd

If your CPU is an Intel type (including AMD 'clone') then choose i386 type. Only if you know your CPU is one of the others such as Alpha or sparc64 should you install for those. All regular PCs are the i386 type.

NOTE, by the way, that FreeBSD 5.4 is scheduled to come out at the end
of this month.   It will have many improvements over 5.3.  You may not
want to wait to start hands on learning, but you may want to just install
and experiment for now and then completely reinstall when 5.4 is released.

Good luck,

////jerry

Please contact me back as soon possible as im in very urgent need of help!

Sincerely Zhan