Christopher Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> My goal is to have the latest ports, regardless of which ones I actually
> want to install.  I guess my question is more "can I CVSup without first
> installing the ports collection, and if I do so, does that save time or
> take longer?"

The short answer is that you can do it, and it will probably cost you
some time.  The slightly longer answer is that how much time you save
(by downloading the ports tree before doing a cvsup on it) depends on
a number of factors, most notably your network bandwidth.  There also
are a few possible "gotchas" to keep in mind if you "adopt" an
existing tree this way: see the CVSUP FAQ at
http://www.cvsup.org/faq.html
and particularly the questions in the "Recipes" section.

                http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/