Is there a difference between building a world and building a kernel?

Common sence is telling me building world rebuilds all the execuables and
config files or something a little more intense then just the kernel.

However I have not been able to find any instructions on how to "build
world" not even in the handbook. I found building a kernel and was able to
do that with no problems. But I would like to update my system with any
security updates that have occured since 5.3 has come out.

Thanks for any tips.

Thank you,
Joshua Lewis