--On Monday, April 11, 2005 12:30:37 PM -0700 NMH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi all
  I know hard drives tend to not run well when near
full. They have trouble performing self adjustments
(hardware), self defragging(unix/FFS) etc.. (as I can
express it) However, I need to find some documentation
or some help in explaining this better.
  I am working with some people who store loads of
files, on many drives and tend to fill the drives to
95% and more and then can't understand why they become
unstable.  I need to be able to explain it better and
I would also like to know more to be able to
factually/sanely set a percent full safe limit.

 Any help would be appreciatted

Q: What happens when you fill a cabinet that is designed to hold 100 folders with 95 folders, many of which are crammed full of papers?

A: It gets much harder to put more folders in or to put more "stuff" in the existing folders. And papers start to stick out and catch on the top of the drawer because they no longer fit.

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas